Friday, November 19, 2010

Beer, Boots & Buttermilk


Okay, it's the simple things in life that put a smile on my face.  And, today, it was beer, boots and buttermilk.

I don't drink much at all, but most nights I love to have one beer after work.  Maybe I'm a beer snob.  Or, maybe it's because I only get one and I want it to count.  For whatever reason, I like my beer to be a good one.  Life's too short to drink cheap beer!  This time of year, I can't wait for my favorite brewery to come out with their holiday "Celebration Ale".  If you like beer and haven't had it, I highly recommend you try it!  Brewed in Chico, California.  Comes in a pretty box with an even prettier taste and I found my first batch of the year.  Um, um, good!

For my birthday, I was given a new pair of Ariat Fat Baby riding boots since I finally wore my other pair out.  They were the wrong size, so this week I just made it down to San Diego to exchange them for the right size.  (After I picked up the good beer!).  So, I'm like a kid and want to wear them all around the house with my pajamas.  Yep, puts a smile on my face and can't wait to wear them on Mickey this weekend.



Buttermilk?  I have decided to lax my strict vegan principles that I've ascribed to for almost a decade.  I don't stray much, but I am indulging in some organic raw goat milk cheeses I score at the Co-op in San Diego, the fresh eggs from my chickens (when they are cooked with something else as unfortunately, I still don't like the taste of straight up eggs), and some occasional raw, organic butter.  And, this weekend I have decided to give myself a real treat: buttermilk.  Buttermilk has always been a favorite of mine, but I haven't had it in almost 10 years.  While at the Co-op, I found some organic buttermilk and decided to splurge.  Tomorrow there will be some hot corn bread around here and I can't wait to break the buttermilk out!



So, there you have it.  Three simple things that are leading me to smile and feel good about life today!  Beer, boots and buttermilk.  What are your favorite simple things?  What little things put a smile on your face?

6 comments:

  1. After 10 years, be careful not to overindulge. You might send your digestive tract into turmoil.

    I stick to my Bud Light Lime.

    Good coffee is one of life's simple pleasures for me. Boots are good, though. I have a pair of ProBaby's, but I don't ride in them. They're so wide, I'm always afraid if something happened, my foot would get hung up. I ride in traditional Justin's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah,

    Oh, I wont over-indulge! A small glass every now and then, a piece of cheese here and there. Just treats! I hear you on the good coffee for sure. another simple pleasure... Enjoy your Justin's - they are great boots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I have a recipe for a custard cornbread made with butermilk, if you are interested I'll dig it out or look it up( forget if it's written down or in a cookbook, but it's YUMMY! Especially with a pot of beans or homemade soup :o)

    Love your boots, I'm flat footed, so can't wear anything with built in arches or heals for very long, it makes my poor dogs bark, LOUD too*wink* Those look very comfey.
    Blessings,
    Kelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when Sierra Nevada comes out with their Celebration. I remember having that when we lived out in CA. I haven't found it in KY yet. Love the boots! I know how you feel! Did you even take them off to go to bed? What co-op do you venture to in San Diego? I have a cousin living down there who'd be interested in finding a good place to shop. Have a great weekend! - Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well... a big huge welcome to buttermilk! Yippee!

    Do you have a favorite cornbread recipe? If you have a farmer's market around, pick up some fresh ground cornmeal (well worth the extra effort).

    Kittens (pjs) and boots - gotta love em both! I love your pjs AND your new boots. I do believe those boots will come in very handy this winter. What a wonderful gift!

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Farmer

    ReplyDelete
  6. No doubt, the simple pleasures, the daily things that so many take for granted. Must agree with Leah about the coffee. We have pretty good coffee at home, but when we make our bi-monthly pilgrimage to the "big" town, to pick up supplies, we splurge.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are much appreciated and enjoyed!